This Chicken Aglio Olio is the easiest and most delicious pasta recipe you can make for weeknight meals. Spaghetti aglio oliio is an Italian dish that means spaghetti with garlic and oil. This pasta dish requires only a few ingredients and can be prepared in under 30 minutes.
Though noodles were part of our growing up years but not pasta because noodles were part of Asian Cuisine. I'm not sure when pasta arrived in India, but I learned about it more than a decade ago.
Initially, it was all about macaroni and penne pasta, slowly I came to know about spaghetti. I loved spaghetti alfredo in a restaurant but first tried easy spaghetti Aglio olio recipe after watching it on a cookery show. Then I wondered why I hadn't know it before. So don't miss this easy and delicious dish!
Spaghetti: I always prefer to cook this recipe with spaghetti. However, if you do not have spaghetti in your pantry, then try it with other pasta. I would recommend using any long pasta like fettuccine, linguine, or bucatini.
Chicken: Boneless bite size chicken pieces are perfect for this dish. You can take breast piece or boneless thigh piece and cut into 1 inch cube size.
Spices: I use simple spices like garlic powder, chilli flakes, oregano and salt for this recipe.
Garlic: It's a key ingredient of the dish.
Oil: Always use extra virgin olive oil for any pasta recipe.
Apart from the above ingredients I have also added broccoli florets in this dish. It is completely optional but always good to add veggies in your meal.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Chicken Aglio Olio
Spaghetti Aglio olio is a quick pasta recipe that combines fresh garlic, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese with freshly cooked spaghetti pasta. It is a classic Italian dish from Naples.
For making Chicken Aglio Olio, always take boneless chicken pieces and marinate with salt, garlic powder, oregano and chilli flakes.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoon of salt to water. This is an important step of this recipe. Add generous amount of salt in the water while boiling pasta. Because when pasta cooks, it absorbs the salt from the water, which enhances the flavor of the pasta. So don't miss to add salt in the water!
Add the spaghetti in the water and allow to cook until Al Dente. Always stir in between to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Save a cup of pasta water before draining it.
I prefer to add broccoli florets in our chicken spaghetti Aglio olio. So, I blanch the florets before adding them.
Heat approximately 2 tablespoons of oil and cook the marinated chicken pieces till light brown. Once done, keep aside.
Garlic and olive oil brings the actual flavor in pasta Aglio olio recipe. So next step is to heat olive oil in pan and add chopped garlic and chilli flakes. Stir it until the garlic turns golden but be careful not to burn it.
Add blanched broccoli florets next and sauté for couple of minutes.
Next add reserved pasta water and cooked pasta. Make sure to toss the pasta well with garlic oil.
Finally, add cooked chicken and toss it well with spaghetti using a tong. Cook for a minute or two, until the liquid in the pan is reduced by one-third. Taste the sauce and season with salt if necessary. Add oregano and combine well. Keep the heat low until the pasta is done. Garnish it with parmesan cheese and serve hot.
You can make lot of variation with chicken Aglio olio recipe.
If you are a non-vegetarian, instead of chicken you can also add sauteed shrimp, crispy bacon and make your favorite pasta dish.
You can make this dish without the chicken if you're a vegetarian. I included broccoli florets because I always like to include vegetables in our meals. You can omit the chicken and add your preferred vegetable, such as a mushroom, a zucchini, an asparagus, etc. You can also add tofu in place of chicken.
As it is a quick recipe, I always make it fresh for weeknight dinners. Keep the leftover pasta in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. This can be reheated in microwave oven.
You might also like
Chicken Aglio Olio
- Large Pot
- 350 gms Spaghetti
- 300 gms Boneless Chicken cut into inch cubes
- 5-6 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoon Garlic finely chopped
- ½ cup Broccoli Florets blanched
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- ¼ cup Cheese Parmesan (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken pieces with salt, chilli flakes, garlic powder and oregano.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 2 teaspoon of salt to water.
- Add spaghetti into boiled water and cook until al dente. Before draining the pasta, save 1 cup of the cooking water.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan and cook the chicken pieces till light brown. Once done, keep aside.
- Now remaining heat oil in the pan and add chopped garlic and chilli flakes.
- Cook until the garlic starts to turn golden.
- Now add blanched broccoli florets and sauté for couple of minutes.
- Next add the reserved cup of pasta water and boiled spaghetti.
- Toss pasta in garlic oil using a tong and also add cooked chicken.
- Cook for a minute or two, reducing the liquid by one third. Taste the sauce and season with salt if necessary. Also, add oregano and combine well. Maintain a low heat until the pasta is done.
- Garnish it with parmesan cheese and serve hot.
PIN to read it later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, we would love to see the pictures of your dishes. Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures at: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.