Drums of Heaven is a popular Indo-Chinese starter, where chicken lollipops are tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce. It is one of the most ordered dish in any Indo-Chinese restaurant. In this post, I will share the stepwise method of making sweet and spicy Drums of Heaven.
Chicken wings are marinated with sauces and spices, later coated with flour and deep fried to make lollipops. The sweet and sour flavor of the snack comes from sauces and spices while flour adds crunchiness.
What are the ingredients required to make Drums of Heaven?
If you are planning to make Drums of Heaven or chicken lollipop in sauce then here are the list of ingredients you need to prepare the dish. The list of ingredients in the recipe card may look long but ingredients are repetitive and easily available in your pantry.
Chicken: The primary ingredient of this dish is chicken. However, it is important to use chicken wings for this recipe.
Onion, Garlic, Ginger, Green Chilli, Spring Onion: Apart from chicken wings, these are some important ingredients used while preparing drums of heaven. You should finely chop the above mentioned items. I have also used ginger and garlic paste while I marinated the chicken wings.
Sauces: I have used tomato ketchup and soy sauce for this recipe. You can also use schezwan sauce for tossing the chicken lollipop and this will add spicy flavor to the dish.
Flours: It adds crunchiness to the chicken pieces. Primarily, I have used all purpose flour, corn flour and rice flour in this recipe. Also, I have added corn flour slurry while tossing the chicken wings. It gives a nice coating and glossy finish to the chicken lollipops.
Other Ingredients: Apart from the above mentioned ingredients, the recipe calls for red chilli powder which adds spice to the starter. It also gives a nice color to the dish. I have not added any food color here. To balance the sourness I have used sugar. Vinegar is also used in this dish. Finally, I have used vegetable oil for deep frying. You can use any edible oil (except mustard and coconut oil) to deep fry the chicken wings.
Learn how to make Indo-Chinese starter Drums of Heaven or Chicken Lollipop in soy sauce
The middle portion of a chicken wing or thigh is commonly used to make chicken lollipop. Nowadays, you can purchase ready to make chicken wing pieces in the shape of lollipop. If you want to prepare it from scratch, you can check this video of how to prepare chicken lollipop from chicken wings.
Rub the chicken pieces with garlic paste, ginger paste, and red chilli powder. In a mixing bowl, combine the soy sauce, tomato ketchup, and vinegar. Chicken wings are marinated with mentioned mixture. Keep it in the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes.
After that, whisk together the egg white and the marinated chicken. Toss the marinated chicken with all-purpose flour, corn flour, rice flour, salt, and red chilli powder.
Heat the oil and deep fried the chicken wings till golden brown over medium to high heat. Remove the chicken lollipops from the pan and place them on a tissue paper to absorb any excess oil.
Now to toss the chicken lollipops in sweet and spicy sauce we have to heat oil in a pan.
Add chopped garlic and ginger into oil. Sauté for few minutes and then add chopped onion and stir until they are translucent.
Add the tomato ketchup, soy sauce, and sugar after that. Mix everything up thoroughly.
Take 4-5 tablespoon of water in a bowl and add the corn flour. Mix well to make a corn flour slurry. At this stage, add the corn flour slurry to the pan and taste for salt. Continue to stir until the sauce thickens.
Finally, mix the chicken lollipops with chopped green chilli and spring onion. Chicken Drums of Heaven is ready to serve.
How do I serve Drums of Heaven?
Drums of Heaven is a very good starter option for chicken lovers. You can also serve it with so Indo-Chinese style fried rice or noodles. This can also served as party snacks with mocktails or cocktails. Sometimes I simply serve it as snacks with some tomato ketchup.
Can I prepare Drums of Heaven ahead of time?
If you are making in bulk, I would suggest to prepare the chicken lollipop ahead and store them for few hours. Re-fry for couple of minutes when ready to serve and quickly toss them in the sauce. This will save time and you can serve freshly prepared Drums of Heaven.
Drums of Heaven | Chicken Lollipop in Sauce
For Chicken Lollipop
- 500 gms Chicken Wings (around 10 nos of Chicken wings)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Paste
- 2 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon Corn Flour
- 1 teaspoon Rice Flour optional
- 1 no Egg
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- 2 cups Vegetable Oil for deep frying
For Drums of Heaven
- 10 nos Chicken Lollipop
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, chopped
- ¼ cup Onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon Spring Onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Corn Flour (add 4-5 tablespoon of water to prepare corn slurry)
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
Making of Chicken Lollipop
- Clean, wash and pat dry the chicken wings.
- Rub the chicken pieces with garlic paste, ginger paste, and red chilli powder.
- Whisk soy sauce, tomato ketchup and vinegar in a bowl.
- Marinade chicken wings with salt and the above mentioned mixture. Keep it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After that, add egg white into the marinated chicken and mix well.
- Now add all purpose flour, corn flour, rice flour, salt and red chilli powder into the marinated chicken. Coat the chicken wings well.
- Heat oil and deep fry the chicken wings under medium to high heat till golden brown.
- Take out the chicken lollipops on a tissue paper to absorb the excess oil.
Making of Drums of Heaven
- Heat oil in a wok or pan and add chopped garlic and ginger.
- Next add chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- After that add tomato ketchup, soy sauce and sugar. Combine well.
- Take 4-5 tablespoon of water in a bowl and add the corn flour. Mix well to make a corn flour slurry.
- Add the corn flour slurry into the pan and taste the salt at this point of time. Keep stirring till the sauce thickens.
- Finally add chopped green chilli and spring onion and toss the chicken lollipops. Serve hot.
PIN to read it later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, we would love to see the pictures of your dishes. Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.