Kathal Biryani or Jackfruit Biryani is a plant-based biryani recipe which is cooked using raw jackfruit pieces along with varieties of spices and mix with the cooked basmati rice in layers.
We normally eat exotic tropical ripe jackfruit during summers. Have you ever got an opportunity to taste a raw jackfruit? In India, we get jackfruit in abundance especially during summer days.
Green or raw jackfruit is popular in Bengal and we call it Enchor (এঁচোড়). Raw jackfruit is often a good meat substitute for vegans and vegetarians due to it's texture. Hence, we call it Gach Pantha (গাছ পাঁঠা, vegan meat) in Bengal.
We love raw jackfruit, so I thought of preparing kathal ki biryani or jackfruit biryani. Let me tell you, the taste of kathal ki biryani or jackfruit biryani is nothing less than any meat biryani.
Recipes I cook using Raw Jackfruit
We (Read Bengalis) cook varieties of dishes using raw jackfruit. Enchor Kosha, Enchorer Dalna, Enchorer chop are popular ones. We relish Enchorer Dalna with plain rice whereas enchorer chop is best paired with a cup of tea. Kathal Biryani or Enchorer Biryani is an unusual recipe however, I assure vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian people can enjoy this.
How to store raw jackfruit in refrigerator?
During the season of jackfruit we get the raw ones and prepare varieties of dishes. Whenever I get a raw jackfruit if I am not cooking it fresh then I definitely peel it and it into blocks. Later I soak the jackfruit pieces in the turmeric water for sometime and later boil it in a pressure cooker for one or two whistles max.
After the pressure releases I drain the water. Once it cools down I store them into clean and dry container with lid and store in the refrigerator. It stays well up to two weeks or little more than that.
Sometimes I keep raw jackfruit in a cover without peeling and cutting. It stays good in the refrigerator for only up to 2 to 3 days. If I keep it for long, it starts getting dried.
How to cut raw jackfruit?
Cutting of raw jackfruit is not a very easy job, especially for the beginners. In India, certain vegetable vendors cut the raw jackfruit and sell it. However, if it is not the same case in your part of the world then learn how to cut raw jackfruit.
Steps to Cut Raw Jackfruit
- Before cutting apply oil in your hands, palms and also on the knife because raw jackfruit contains a sticky sap . Keep a newspaper just under the cutting board to save your kitchen counter-top from the sticky sap.
- Cut the jackfruit into two halves. Slowly and carefully remove the outer thorny skin of the jackfruit.
- After removing the skin take each half and further cut them into halves. Centre (core) part of the jackfruit (white colour) is hard and not edible. So cut it out.
- Later cut the raw jackfruit in cubes as per your desired size. After cutting the pieces soak them in turmeric water (1 teaspoon turmeric powder in 1 litre water) and later drain the water.
How to serve Jackfruit Biryani?
Jackfruit Biryani or Kathal Biryani can be served with curd or raita or cucumber-onion salad. Jackfruit Biryani is a complete meal and I don't need any other accompaniment with this dish.
Can I make a Vegan version of Jackfruit Biryani?
Of course, you can prepare a vegan jackfruit biryani or kathal ki biryani. To make this jackfruit biryani vegan you replace dairy products including ghee, yogurt and milk with plant-based alternatives. Instead of normal milk use almond, coconut or soy milk to soak the saffron.
If vegan butter is available in your city you can use as a replacement of ghee. If vegan butter is not available you can use any vegetable oil instead of ghee. Yogurt can be substituted by soy yogurt or any plant-based yogurt. If nothing is available you can use tomato paste 1/4 cup just to add tanginess in the masala.
You Might Also Like
- Heavy Bottom Pan
- 2 cups Raw Jackfruit, cut into cubes
- 2 cups Long grain rice (Basmati rice)
- 1½ cups Onion, sliced
- ½ cup Sliced onion, fried
- 2 teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Paste
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Cinnamon Stick, 1 inch
- 2 Cardamom
- 2 Clove
- 2 Star Anise
- 2 Mace
- few Black Peppercorn (Whole)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- a pinch Saffron
- 3-4 drops Food Coloring Agent (Red)
- 3 tablespoon Ghee
- 3-4 tablespoon Refined Oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rice for 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil and fry the boiled jackfruit along with salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Avoid stirring often, otherwise the jackfruit will loose its shape and will become mussy. After frying keep them aside.
- Drain the water and cook the rice along with whole spices (half of black peppercorn, 1 mace, 1 star anise, 1 clove, 1 cinnamon, 1 cardamom). Cook the rice till 85% and drain the water and spread it in a plate. Allow to cool and sprinkle salt on the rice.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add 2 tablespoon of ghee and 2 tablespoon of oil and heat it.
- Next add the remaining whole spices and stir for few minutes.
- Add sliced onions and keep stirring until they are translucent.
- When onion becomes translucent, add ginger paste and garlic paste and cook for few minutes.
- Now add all the dry spices, salt to taste and cook for few minutes.
- Meanwhile beat the curd adding a pinch of turmeric powder and add into the masala and start stirring it immediately.
- Now add the fried jackfruit pieces and mix with masala. Avoid stirring vigorously.
- Soak a pinch of saffron in warm milk (1 tablespoon) and keep aside. Add food colouring agent in another tablespoon of milk and keep aside.
- Take a heavy bottom vessel and grease it with ghee and add a part of jack fruitmasala at the bottom.
- Add a layer of rice on top masala and also add fried onions and saffron milk (part of it) and milk with food colour (part of it).
- Similarly,using remaining jackfruit masala and rice add layers.
- Finally, close the lid of the vessel tightly and keep it on low heat for 10 minutes.
- After that, fluff the rice using the fork because long grain rice might break.
- Serve hot Kathal biryani with curd or raita.
PIN it to read it later.
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, We would love to see the pictures of your dishes & Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures @email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org