Kurkuri or Kurkure Bhindi is a popular Indian side dish or snack recipe prepared with okra coated with spice powders, gram flour, and fried. Kurkuri bhindi in air fryer transforms your favorite dish into something healthy and guilt-free. It is also known as Air fryer crispy okra.
This Air Fryer Crispy Okra is
- Gluten Free
- Perfect as side dish or snack
It's an adaptation of a dish we tried for the first time at a friend's (specifically, husband's colleague) house. We both really enjoyed it, and her mother taught us how to make it.
The traditional recipe, however, called for deep-frying coated okra. Hence, I used to avoid making it frequently. Since I received the Air Fryer, I decided to give it a shot, and the kurkuri bhindi in air fryer turned out fantastic. Now I can eat my favorite dish whenever I want.
Ingredients Required for Making Kurkuri Bhindi
Okra: It is the key ingredient of the dish. Okra is also referred to as lady's finger and is frequently referred to as "bhindi" in Hindi.
Spice Powders: I have used salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, chaat masala and cumin powder to coat the okra. You can use your choice of spice powders. Many people add garam masala powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder in the spice mix.
Others: Gram flour is an important ingredient of this dish. It adds flavor to the dish and holds the spices together by acting as a binding agent. I add little bit of rice flour which makes the okra crispy. Addition of lemon juice gives a tangy flavor to the okra. As we are using air fryer for frying kurkuri bhindi, we need very little oil for the same.
How to make Kurkuri Bhindi in Air Fryer
Preparation starts with the rinsing of okra thoroughly under running water. Never wash and rinse okra after cutting, because water enhances sliminess of okra.
Allow the water to drain completely and pat each one dry with a kitchen towel. Trim both ends of the okra and cut it lengthwise into four sections.
Place the cut okras in a mixing bowl and add the gram flour, rice flour, and all of the spice powders such as turmeric, red chili powder, cumin, chaat masala powder, and salt. Combine them thoroughly. Mix in the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of oil.
Preheat the Air Fryer for 2 minutes at 205° C (400° F). Spray the basket with oil and add the spice-coated okras. Try not to crowd them, instead air fry them in two batches.
Close the basket and air fry them for 10-12 minutes at 180° C (350° F). After 5 minutes, remove the basket and shake it to turn the okras, or turn them with tongs.
If necessary, spray a little oil on the other side as well and air fry for another 5 minutes, or until crispy. When the okra is crispy, carefully remove it from the air fryer and serve immediately.
- Always buy tender okra pods for better outcome
- Before you begin cutting the okra, thoroughly wash and dry it
- To ensure quick and even cooking, slice the okra into thin strips
- Remember to flip the okra in the air fryer once one side is cooked
We prefer to pair kurkuri bhindi with simple dal-rice kind of meal. Hence, you can serve it as side dish with any Indian style meal. It can be a very good snack or starter option and you can serve with ketchup or any other dip.
The best way to eat kurkuri bhindi is right after it has been air fried. You can store them in air-tight container and store in the refrigerator. However, if you store them for longer period, they tun softer. You can spray little oil and use air fryer for reheating purpose.
Kurkuri Bhindi vs Breaded Okra
You might think kurkuri bhindi and breaded okra both are same recipe. Let me tell you both dishes are different though they appear somewhat similar. Also, you can recreate both the dishes in air fryer.
Kurkuri bhindi is an Indian appetizer or side dish whereas breaded okra is a popular dish from Southern cuisine. We use various Indian spice powders and gram flour to coat okra in kurkuri bhindi, hence it is gluten free. All-purpose flour, breadcrumbs and cornmeal are used for coating breaded okra therefore, the dish contains gluten.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Kurkuri Bhindi in Air Fryer
- 200 gms Okra (Bhindi)
- 2 tablespoon Gram Flour (Besan)
- 1 tablespoon Rice Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- ½ tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Rinse the okra thoroughly under running water.
- Allow to drain the water completely and pat dry each one of them using kitchen towel.
- Trim both ends of the okra and cut each one into four lengthwise sections.
- In a mixing bowl place, the cut okras and add gram flour, rice flour and all the spice powders such as turmeric, red chilli, cumin, chaat masala powder and salt into it. Combine them well.
- Add lemon juice and 1½ tablespoon of oil into it and mix well.
- Preheat the Air fryer at 205 degree C (400-degree F) for 2 minutes.
- Spray oil on the basket and place the spice coated okras in the basket. Avoid overcrowding them.
- Close the basket and air fry them at 180 degree C (350-degree F) for 10-12 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, take out the basket and shake it to turn the okras or use a tong to turn them. If required, you can spray little oil on the other side as well and air fry them for another 5 minutes or until turn crispy.
- When the okra turns crispy, carefully remove it from the air fryer and serve hot.
PIN to read it later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, we would love to see the pictures of your dishes. Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.