Rajma tikki is an easy to make snack for your evening tea. It is also called rajma patties or kidney bean patties. This is a healthy and nutritious snack. Kidney bean are packed with protein, hence they are good protein source especially for vegetarians population.
What do you often prepare with kidney beans or rajma?
If someone would have asked this question to me, without giving a pause my answer would be Rajma chawal. We all love rajma masala with plain basmati rice or jeera rice. This is one of our favourite combination for lunchbox or meal on any weekends.
Being Bengali we are not grown eating rajma chawal instead we had our favourite fish curry rice. As we became adult and came to another city to explore our life we started adopting food and culture from all parts of India and incorporating them into our life.
Many people prefer to stay at their own state (no, I am not at all criticizing the fact) however some of them get the opportunity to see the world beyond their boundary and then they are enriched with cultures, foods and so many things. And slowly rajma chawal became our favourite like many other Indian foods.
When can I serve these rajma tikkis or kidney bean patties?
Rajma tikkis are good with your evening tea or coffee. You can also pack kidney bean patties for kid’s snack box. They are healthy, nutritious and filling snacks with less oil.
I always keep on thinking what shall I prepare for evening snacks which is healthy and tasty too. I keep exploring the opportunities. Other day when I soaked rajma for rajma masala. After soaking changed my plan and thought of preparing these patties instead of rajma masala. They were total hit in my house. I remember during our childhood ma used to prepare aloo tikkis quite often as evening snacks. I think this kind of tikkis or patties are great option for after school snacks or evening snacks.
How can I easily make Rajma Tikkis at home?
I often get queries like how can I prepare quick snacks for kids. There are plenty quick snack options however, if you prepare well ahead you can prepare rajma tikkis quickly at home. Though the procedure of making rajma tikki is easy but you need preparation for it. If you are planning this rajma tikki for your kiddo’s snack box then soak the beans previous day and after soaking boil them until they are soft. You can keep the boiled beans in the refrigerator and continue the remaining steps next day. You can also make your job easy by keeping the patties ready and next day take out the patties from refrigerator and shallow fry them.
Is Rajma tikki Vegan?
Yes. Rajma tikki or kidney bean patties are absolutely vegan. Rajma or kidney bean are plant based protein.
Can I use Rajma Tikki as burger patties?
Yes definitely you can. If you are looking for little more heavy snacks you can use these kidney bean patties as burger patties and serve a good protein rich vegetarian rather vegan burger.
How can I serve this Rajma tikkis or Kidney bean patties?
You can serve them with ketchup or any Indian style chutney or any of your favourite dip. If you do not like ketchup or any chutney, it can be paired with simple mayonnaise too. You can also serve them with a cup of tea.
If you love eating tikkis and looking for recipes, please don’t forget to check these below recipes:
Let’s learn how to make rajma tikki or kidney bean patties.
Rajma Tikkis or Kidney Bean Paaties
- 1½ cups Rajma or Kidney Beans
- 2 nos Potatoes, medium
- 1 no Onion, medium, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Green Chillies, chopped
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Leaves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- ½ teaspoon Chaat Masala Powder
- ½ teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Dry Ginger Powder
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour or Maida (use as required)
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil (use as required)
- Soak the kidney beans overnight and later clean it and allow to boil in a pressure cooker with little salt for at least 5 to 6 whistles or till it becomes tender and little mushy in texture.
- Drain the water and allow to cool. In the mean while, peel the potatoes and boil them.
- When both kidney beans and potatoes are cooled down, take them in a plate and mash them together.
- Next add chopped onions, coriander leaves, and green chillies into the mashed mixture.
- After that add all the spices including salt, dry ginger powder, red chilli powder,roasted cumin powder, chaat masala and mix them well.
- Next add the all purpose flower for binding and make a dough.
- Apply oil on your palm and take lemon size balls and flatten them using your palm.
- Heat a skillet and brush it with oil and fry the kidney bean patties under slow flame until both the sides are golden brown.
- Serve them hot with ketchup or your favorite dip.
PIN it to read later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, We would love to see the pictures of your dishes & Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures @firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com