Chanar Payesh | Cottage Cheese Pudding
Chanar payesh is a traditional Bengali sweet dish in which chana (soft cottage cheese or paneer) is cooked in thick milk with sugar or condensed milk.
Yield: 4 people
- 200 gms Paneer or Chana or Chenna
- 1.5 litre Milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 no Bay Leaf
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 2 tablespoon Pista or Cashew Crushed
Cut paneer or chana into small cubes. Alternatively, you can mash the paneer or make small balls using mashed paneer or chana and keep aside.
Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan adding a bay leaf and reduce it to almost half.
While reducing the milk, keep scraping the cream from sides and add into boiling milk.
Once the milk is reduced add sugar and stir until sugar dissolves.
Next add chana into milk and boil for 2-3 minutes.
Switch off the gas and sprinkle cardamom powder.
Add crushed nuts and allow it to cool. Later refrigerate it for half an hour and serve chilled.
- Do not add chana before adding sugar, milk might curdle.
- You can adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste bud.
- You can also use condensed milk instead of sugar.
- If you love cardamom, you can add whole cardamom while reducing the milk.
- You can also add raisins or nuts according to your choice.