Mushroom Pilau Rice or Mushroom Pulao is a simple rice dish with mushrooms and green peas seasoned with spices. This recipe is ideal for a lunchbox, a midweek dinner, or a special event.
If you're tired of plain rice, try this tasty mushroom pilau rice made with Indian spices. It is a delicious combination of rice, spices, and mushrooms that is popular among both vegetarians and non-vegetarians.
Rice: For any kind of pulao preparation, I always prefer to use long grain fragrant basmati rice.
Mushroom: I have used button mushrooms for this recipe. It is easily available in any shops as well as in online grocery stores.
Green Peas: You can either use fresh green peas or frozen peas. Blanch the peas if you're using fresh ones.
Whole Spices: Cinnamon stick, cardamom, clove, bay leaf, etc.
Spice Powders: I use basic spice powders including turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, etc. for this recipe.
Oil: You can use any vegetable oil for this recipe.
Others: Onion, ginger, salt, etc.
How to make Mushroom Pilau Rice
Rinse and pat dry the mushrooms before slicing them and setting them aside. Meanwhile, wash the rice and soak it for 10 minutes. After that, drain the water and set the rice aside.
In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and add the sliced mushrooms. Fry them over high heat with a little salt. Remove the fried mushrooms and set aside.
Add the remaining oil to the pan, along with whole spices such as cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cardamom, and clove. Next add chopped onion and cook until transparent.
Stir in green peas, followed by spice powders such as turmeric powder, coriander powder, and red chili powder. Mix well.
Mix in the rice and seasonings thoroughly. Now stir in the fried mushrooms.
Finally, add the necessary water and salt to taste. Allow the rice to cook on medium heat.
Cook until the water has been totally absorbed. When the water has almost evaporated, cover it with a lid and remove from the heat after few minutes.
Allow it to rest for 6 to 8 minutes before opening the cover. With a fork, fluff the rice and serve it hot with curd or raita.
Mushroom Pilau Rice can be served with fresh curd or raita or with some fresh salads. You can also serve it with some vegetarian starters or curries. I can have this pulao without any accompaniment or with a few papads or fryums.
If you are vegan, you can also add tofu to this pulao rice and make tofu and mushroom pilau rice.
Interestingly, you can also add other vegetables like carrots and beans to make this pulao.
Adjust the amount of chilli powder to vary the spiciness intensity. You can also use green chilli which gives a nice flavor and aroma to the dish.
You can store the leftover pilau rice in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. You can reheat it in microwave and consume it.
- If you slice the mushrooms too thin, they become mushy. So, it is always better to slice the mushrooms little thicker.
- If you add too much water to the rice, the pulao will be overcooked. Depending on the rice, adjust the amount of water. For pulao, I usually use 1 part of rice and 1.5 to 2 parts of water based on the rice.
You Might Also Like
Mushroom Pilau Rice
- 200 gms Button Mushroom
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- ¼ cup Green Peas blanched
- 1 no Onion, medium chopped
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder optional
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Ginger grated
- 4 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- ½ inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1-2 no Cardamom
- 1-2 no Clove
- 1 no Bay Leaf
- Rinse and pat dry the mushrooms and later slice them and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, wash the rice and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Later drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add the sliced mushrooms. Fry them in high heat with little salt.
- Once done, take out the fried mushrooms and keep aside.
- Now add the remaining oil in the pan and add whole spices such as cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cardamom and clove.
- Next add chopped onion and cook until transparent.
- Stir in green peas and later add spice powders including turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder. Combine well.
- Add the rice and mix well with the spices.
- Now add fried mushrooms and mix well.
- Finally, add required water and salt as per taste. Allow to cook the rice under medium flame.
- Continue to cook until the water is completely absorbed. When the water is almost evaporated, cover it with a lid and turn off the heat after few minutes.
- Let it rest for 6 to 8 minutes without opening the lid.
- Fluff the rice using a fork and serve it hot with curd or raita.
PIN to read it later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, we would love to see the pictures of your dishes. Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.