Jackfruit Kofta Curry or Kathal Kofta Curry or Echorer Kofta Curry is a special Indian vegetarian dish made by frying raw jackfruit balls called koftas dipped in onion and tomato gravy.
This dish is made with raw jackfruit, which is cooked and then shaped into koftas or balls. The koftas are then cooked in a thick, spicy curry sauce. The curry sauce is often made with a combination of Indian spices and tomatoes to provide a tangy, rich and creamy flavor that complements the mild flavor of the jackfruit koftas.
Jackfruit: Unripe jackfruit (green jackfruit or raw jackfruit) or kanthal is the key ingredient of this dish. It is also known as echor in Bengali.
Potato: Potato is used as binding agent for the koftas.
Oil: I have used mustard oil for this dish. You can use any vegetable oil for the same.
Milk: Addition of milk makes the gravy creamy and adds a sweet flavor to the curry. If you want the gravy to be richer, substitute the milk with cream.
Spice Powders: Turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, etc.
Whole Spices: Bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom, clove, etc.
Chickpea Flour: Chickpea flour is also a binding agent and helps to bind the koftas.
Others: Ginger paste, garlic cloves, onion, tomato, fresh cream, ghee, salt etc.
Instructions to Make Jackfruit Kofta Curry Indian Style
Follow the stepwise instructions and learn to make jackfruit kofta curry Indian style. We can group the recipe in two major parts: i) Making of Jackfruit Kofta or Kathaler Kofta Recipe and ii) Making of Jackfruit Kofta Curry.
Making of Jackfruit Kofta Recipe
To start the recipe, first you have to peel and cut jackfruit into1 inch cubes, then pressure cook them for 2 whistles.
I always prefer to buy peeled jackfruit from the market or online store, and it really saves a lot of time. Otherwise, you can peel and cut the jackfruit a day before and boil the jackfruit pieces. Allow them to cool and store in the refrigerator.
After pressure cooking the jackfruit, drain the water and set aside the boiled jackfruit pieces. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes and set aside.
When the potatoes and jackfruit have both cooled down, take them in a platter, mash them together.
Now add the chickpea flour, diced onion, and spices and mix thoroughly. Take a spoonful of the mixture and form lemon-sized balls. Keep them aside.
Now heat an appe pan and pour a few drops of oil to each cavity. Place kofta balls in each cavity and fry until one side is done. Later, turn the kofta balls over and cook them again. If necessary, add a few drops of oil at this point. Set the fried kofta balls aside after they've all been cooked.
Note: Appe pan uses less amount of oil compared to deep frying. However, if you do not have an appe pan, then you can deep fry the koftas in oil. Frying in appe pan takes longer time than deep frying.
Also, if you regularly use air fryer, then you can air fry koftas using minimum amount of oil.
Making of Jackfruit Kofta Curry
For making the kofta curry gravy, take onion, garlic and cashew nuts in a grinder and make a smooth paste.
If you prefer a thicker gravy, soak extra cashew nuts separately and prepare a paste.
Heat oil in a pan and add bay leaf, whole garam masala. When the oil becomes aromatic, add in the cashew, onion, and garlic paste.
Add the ginger paste after a while and let it cook thoroughly. Then, thoroughly mix in the salt and dry spice powders.
Later, add tomato paste and cook until the raw scent is gone. When the oil starts to separate, add the milk and cook for a few minutes.
Check the seasoning at this point; if necessary, add salt and sugar to balance the tanginess.
Finally, add the fried kofta balls to the gravy and turn off the heat. Serve the jackfruit kofta curry with fresh cream, ghee, and garam masala powder on top.
Jackfruit, known for its meaty texture, is an excellent substitute for meat in vegetarian and vegan recipes.
If you want to make this as vegan kofta curry, then replace milk with almond milk in the recipe. I would also recommend that you avoid adding fresh cream and ghee to make it vegan.
Make Ahead & Storage
Making jackfruit curry takes time, so if you plan to serve this kofta stew on special occasions, you can prepare ahead of time.
First and foremost, as previously said, jackfruit can be sliced and boiled ahead of time. Furthermore, you can prepare the koftas, cool them, and store them in an airtight container.
Later, you can just make the gravy, dip the koftas, and serve them hot.
The jackfruit kofta curry can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days. Re-heat in the microwave and serve.
Likewise, after cooled, you may store any leftover kofta curry in the fridge.
You Might Also Like
Jackfruit Kofta Curry
Ingredients for Kofta
- 2 cups Jackfruit (cut into 1 inch-size cube)
- 1 no Potato medium
- ½ cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 no Onion, small chopped
- 1 teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
- ⅔ teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
Ingredients for Curry Base
- 3 nos Onion, medium each cut into 4 pieces
- 7-8 nos Garlic Cloves
- 8-10 nos Cashew Nuts
- 1 no Bay Leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1-2 no Cardamom
- 2 nos Clove
- 1½ teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 1 no Tomato, medium
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 cup Milk
- ¼ cup Mustard Oil
- 1-2 tablespoon Fresh Cream
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
Making of Jackfruit Kofta
- Peel and cut jackfruits into 1 inch cube size and later boil them in a pressure cooker up to 2 whistles.
- Later drain the water and keep aside the boiled jackfruit pieces.
- Meanwhile also boil the potatoes and keep aside.
- Once both jackfruit and potatoes are cooled down. Mash them together in a plate.
- Now add chickpea flour, chopped onion and spices and combine well.
- Take lemon size mixture and make balls. Keep them aside.
- Now heat an appe pan, add few drops of oil in each cavity.
- Add the kofta balls in each cavity and fry until one side is cooked.
- Later turn the other side of the kofta balls and cook again. If required add few drops of oil at this stage.
- Once all the kofta balls are fried, keep them aside.
Making of Jackfruit Kofta Curry
- Take onion, garlic and cashew nuts in a grinder and make a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add bay leaf, whole garam masala.
- Once the oil turns fragrant add the onion-garlic- cashew paste.
- After some time add ginger paste and cook well.
- Now time to add dry spice powders, salt and mix well.
- Later add tomato paste and cook until the raw smell is gone.
- When the oil starts separating, add the milk and cook for few minutes.
- Check the seasoning at this time, if required add salt and sugar to balance the tanginess.
- Finally, add fried kofta balls into the gravy and turn off the heat.
- Add fresh cream, ghee and garam masala on top before serving the jackfruit kofta curry.
PIN to read it later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, we would love to see the pictures of your dishes. Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures at: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.