Winter is incomplete without delicious Stuffed Peas Paratha or Matar ka Paratha that is a flatbread stuffed with the spicy filling of fresh green peas and shallow fried in ghee or oil and served with pickle or yogurt. It is a popular winter delicacy in Northern part of India.
During winter, green peas are abundant in the Indian market. When I get a good amount of fresh peas, I prepare varieties of dishes, including Koraishutir Kochuri, Peas Pulao, Mushroom Matar Pulao, Green Peas Masala, Peas Pakora, and definitely Green Peas Stuffed Paratha.
Stuffed paratha is one of my favorite flatbread. If you are regular follower of this space, you must be knowing how I like to try various stuffing in my parathas. The best part of stuffed paratha is that you don’t need any side dish. You can just have it with curd or pickle or just like that.
How to make Peas Stuffed Paratha?
Let’s learn how to make matar ka paratha step-by-step. This is really an easy recipe and I must say tasty too. The recipe can broadly categorized in to three parts – kneading of dough, preparation of stuffing and finally making the parathas.
Take wheat flour, salt and vegetable oil, and use the required water to make a soft dough. Cover the dough with a damp cloth for half an hour.
Boil the green peas now. However, if you are using frozen peas then avoid this step and check out the details related to use of frozen peas mentioned below. After they’ve cooled, grind them into a rough paste with a grinder.
In a pan, heat the oil and add the cumin seeds. Add the chopped ginger and green chilli when they start to crackle.
After that, add the coarse pea paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, chat masala, and salt. Combine them thoroughly. When you’re done, turn off the flame and let it cool.
Make equal size balls from the dough and stuff them with the green peas filling you made earlier. Make sure they’re properly sealed. After that, roll the balls with a rolling pin to make round parathas.
Heat a skillet and fry the parathas using ghee or vegetable oil. Serve immediately with a pickle or other side dish.
Can I prepare the stuffing of Peas Paratha in advance?
You can prepare the stuffing ahead of time. After the stuffing has cooled, place it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. This will help you save a lot of time.
Can I use frozen peas to prepare Green Peas Paratha?
Peas Paratha is a winter delicacy. When you make it with fresh peas, it tastes the best. If you don’t have fresh peas on hand, you can definitely use frozen peas instead.
If you’re using frozen peas, make sure they’re fully thawed and at room temperature before using. After that, remove the water thoroughly and prepare the stuffing with the frozen peas.
How to make Green Peas Paratha | Peas Stuffed Paratha
- 2 cups Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- 1.5 cups Green Peas
- ½ teaspoon Ginger, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Green Chilli, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Chaat Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup Ghee (Clarified Butter)/ Vegetable Oil for Frying (Use as required)
- Take wheat flour, salt and vegetable oil, and use the required water to make a soft dough. Cover the dough with a damp cloth for half an hour.
Preparation of Stuffing
- Now boil the green peas. After they cool, use a grinder to make them into a rough paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they starts crackling add chopped ginger and green chilli.
- Next add coarse pea paste and followed by add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, chat masala, salt. Mix them well.
- Once done, switch off the flame and allow it to cool.
Making of Peas Paratha
- Make equal size balls from the dough and stuff them with the green peas filling prepared earlier. Seal them properly.
- Later roll the balls using rolling pin and prepare round shaped parathas.
- Heat skillet and fry the parathas using ghee or vegetable oil. Serve hot with pickle or any other side dish.
PIN to read it later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, we would love to see the pictures of your dishes. Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures at: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org