Potato Stuffed Bread Roll is a tasty snack made from bread and a savory potato filling that is deep fried until golden brown. Furthermore, their ease of preparation and versatility in serving make them a popular choice for gatherings, parties, or simply a comforting addition to your daily table.
Bread rolls I had first time in my college life. One of my hostel mates prepared and we all relished it. That time I had very limited knowledge about cooking. I have seen my friend how quickly she prepared the stuffing and later the bread rolls. I still remember the taste.
Normally, whenever there is leftover bread, I prepare bread pakora. But this time I decided to prepare this delicious bread roll with stuffed potato. You might think what is so special about this simple bread rolls. Let me tell you, it has the magic on its outer coating which is made of bread. The outer coating of bread gives it a crispy yet light feeling. Inside it is our favorite (read everyone's favorite) potato filling.
What is bread roll or stuffed bread roll?
Bread roll or more specifically stuffed bread roll is a popular Indian snack item. Sliced bread is stuffed with spicy potato filling and deep fried in oil till golden brown and crisp and serve it with ketchup or green coriander chutney.
Ingredients For Potato Rolls Indian Recipe
Potato: The key ingredient of this recipe is potato.
Other Vegetables: Onion, Green Chili, Green Peas
Spice Powders: Turmeric Powder, Roasted Cumin Powder, Chaat Masala, Bhaja Masla (or Garam Masala), Black salt, Salt, etc.
Oil: I have used vegetable oil for this recipe.
Bread: I prefer using leftover sandwich bread (white bread) for this recipe.
Bread Roll Recipe step by step with Pictures
Learn this easy potato stuffed bread roll recipe by following step-by-step instructions given below.
We can prepare potato stuffed bread rolls in two parts:
1) Making of Bread Roll filling
2) Preparation of Bread Roll
For the potato filling, start with peeling the potatoes and boil them. Allow to cool the boiled potatoes and mash the cooked potato and set aside.
Now, heat oil in a skillet and add cumin seeds. Once they start cracking, add the onions to cook.
After a few minutes, stir in the chopped green chili, green peas, turmeric powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, bhaja masala, and salt to taste.
Mix all of the seasonings together thoroughly, then add the mashed potatoes. Again, combine thoroughly.
At this point, if necessary, add a little water, and when the mixture is dry, turn off the heat and let it to cool.
In the meantime, remove the brown crust of bread from all four sides. Now take a bowl of water and carefully dip the bread in it. Immediately remove it and squeeze out the excess water with one palm while pressing with the other.
After that, add a spoonful of stuffing in the center of the bread, roll it with your hands, and set it aside on a plate.
Do not forget to seal all of the edges otherwise the filling will leak out while frying. Likewise, make the remaining bread rolls.
Keep them on a plate and let them rest for 20 to 30 minutes. After that, heat oil in a wok and deep fry the bread rolls on all sides until they are lovely golden.
Use a kitchen towel or tissue paper to absorb any excess oil. Now bread rolls with stuffed potatoes are ready. Sprinkle black salt and serve with tomato ketchup.
Normally, the crispy bread roll recipe is made with a savory potato filling; however, here I am sharing a wide range of bread roll filling ideas.
You can stuff anything of your choice starting from, paneer, soya granules, mushroom, mixed vegetables (including beetroot, carrot, green peas, beans etc.).
Also, there are non-vegetarian options of chicken mince (keema), basa or bhetki fish, mutton mince, prawns etc. You will relish the bread roll with any stuffing of your choice. Cheese stuffed bread rolls are popular among kids.
These are the savory options of stuffing if someone has sweet tooth can make sondesh (stuffing made with cottage cheese and sugar) or khoya stuffed bread roll too.
This time I had done potato stuffing, I have plan of making paneer bread rolls, soya bread rolls even chicken bread rolls. You can stuff anything of your choice.
Bread rolls are best served as snacks or started with green chutney or tomato ketchup. It can also be served with any other dip for example: cream cheese or mayonnaise. You can also serve it with evening tea or coffee.
Bread roll is a very good party starter and snacks. You can prepare them in beforehand and later you can fry when your guests arrive. You can even fry them and keep it to save time and later just heat up in microwave oven and serve to your guests.
Here is the quickest way to prepare bhaja masla and its really handy. Take cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and black pepper powder in 2:2:1:1 ratio and dry roast it until the color changes to dark brown. Allow it to cool and store in an air-tight container for future use.
Normally, the bread roll is deep fried in oil however, you can also use air-fryer to cook the bread roll and this is a healthier option than frying.
You can also prepare these Indian style bread rolls in oven. Baked bread rolls equally taste good. You need to brush oil on the rolls before you bake them.
You Might Also Like
Potato Stuffed Bread Roll
- Potato Masher
- 3 nos Potato, medium size Boiled
- ½ cup Green Peas
- 1 no Onion, medium size chopped
- ½ teaspoon Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Bhaja Masla (Special Spice Mix)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Salt to taste
For Outer Shell
- 4-6 nos White Bread
- ½ cup Water
- 2-3 cups Vegetable Oil for deep frying
- ½ teaspoon Black Salt
How to prepare Bread Roll Stuffing
- Mash the boiled potato and keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- Once they start crackling add onions for frying.
- After few minutes, add chopped green chilli, green peas, turmeric powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, bhaja masla, and salt to taste.
- Mix all the spices well and add mashed potatoes into it. Again mix well.
- At this time, if required add little water, and when the mixture becomes dry switch off the gas and allow it for cooling.
Making of Bread Roll Step-by-step
- In the mean time, remove the brown crust of bread from all four sides.
- Now take water in a bowl and dip the bread in water lightly and gently. Immediately remove it and squeeze out the water by keeping it one palm and pressing with other palm.
- After that place a spoon full of stuffing at the middle of the bread and roll it using your hands and keep it on a plate. Do not forget to seal all the edges, otherwise the stuffing will come out while frying.
- Likewise make the other bread rolls.
- Keep them in a plate and allow to rest them for 20 minutes to half an hour.
- After that, heat oil in a wok and deep fry the bread rolls all sides till they turn nice golden
- Take them out in a kitchen towel or tissue paper to absorb extra oil.
- Sprinkle black salt on top and serve with tomato ketchup.
- Allow the bread to absorb water however, it should not absorb too much water. Otherwise bread will turn soggy and you won't be able to shape them.
- Instead of water you can also use milk, however, I have experienced better outcome with milk. However, vegans should go ahead with water.
- Fry the rolls under medium flame. High heat may burn the rolls.
PIN to read it later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, We would love to see the pictures of your dishes & Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures @firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com