Bread roll or stuffed bread roll is a popular snack in India. Normally, bread is stuffed with potato filling and deep fried till golden brown.
Bread rolls I had first time in my college life. One of my hostel mates prepared and we all relished it. That time I had very limited knowledge about cooking. I have seen my friend how quickly she prepared the stuffing and later the bread rolls. I still remember the taste. Normally, whenever there is leftover bread, I prepare bread pakora. But this time I decided to prepare this delicious bread roll with stuffed potato. You might think what is so special about this simple bread rolls. Let me tell you, it has the magic on its outer coating which is made of bread. The outer coating of bread gives it a crispy yet light feeling. Inside it is our favorite (read everyone's favorite) potato filling.
Before we learn how to make Indian style bread roll, let's learn more about bread roll.
What is bread roll or stuffed bread roll?
Bread roll or more specifically stuffed bread roll is a popular Indian snack item. Sliced bread is stuffed with spicy potato filling and deep fried in oil till golden brown and crisp and serve it with ketchup or green coriander chutney.
What are the different stuffing options for bread roll?
Normally, the bread rolls are stuffed with a savoury potato filling; however, you can make different stuffing variations for bread roll. You can stuff anything of your choice starting from paneer, soya granules, mushroom, mixed vegetables (including beetroot, carrot, green peas, beans etc.). Also there are non-vegetarian options of chicken mince (keema), basa or bhetki fish, mutton mince, prawns etc. You will relish the bread roll with any stuffing of your choice.
These are the savory options of stuffing if someone has sweet tooth can make sondesh (stuffing made with cottage cheese and sugar) or khoya stuffed bread roll too.
This time I had done potato stuffing, I have plan of making paneer bread rolls, soya bread rolls even chicken bread rolls. You can stuff anything of your choice.
Instead of deep frying in oil, can I use air-fryer to cook the bread roll?
Normally, the bread roll is deep fried in oil however, you can also use air-fryer to cook the bread roll and this is a healthier option than frying.
You can also prepare these Indian style bread rolls in oven. Baked bread rolls equally taste good. You need to brush oil on the rolls before you bake them.
How to serve bread rolls?
Bread rolls are best served as snacks or started with green chutney or tomato ketchup. It can also be served with any other dip for example: cream cheese or mayonnaise. You can also serve it with evening tea or coffee.
Bread roll is a very good party starter and snacks. You can prepare them in beforehand and later you can fry when your guests arrive. You can even fry them and keep it to save time and later just heat up in microoven and serve to your guests.
How to prepare Bhaja Masla or Special Spice Mix?
Here is the quickest way to prepare bhaja masla and its really handy. Take cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and black pepper powder in 2:2:1:1 ratio and dry roast it until the color changes to dark brown. Allow it to cool and store in an air-tight container for future use.
Here are some more snack ideas
Potato Stuffed Bread Roll
- Potato Masher
- 3 nos Potato, medium size Boiled
- ½ cup Green Peas
- 1 no Onion, medium size chopped
- ½ teaspoon Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Bhaja Masla (Special Spice Mix)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Salt to taste
For Outer Shell
- 4-6 nos White Bread
- ½ cup Milk
- 2-3 cups Refined Oil for deep frying
- ½ teaspoon Black Salt
How to prepare Bread Roll Stuffing
- Mash the boiled potato and keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- Once they start crackling add onions for frying.
- After few minutes, add chopped green chilli, green peas, turmeric powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, bhaja masla, and salt to taste.
- Mix all the spices well and add mashed potatoes into it. Again mix well.
- At this time, if required add little water, and when the mixture becomes dry switch off the gas and allow it for cooling.
Making of Bread Roll Step-by-step
- In the mean time, remove the brown crust of bread from all four sides.
- Now take milk in a bowl and dip the bread in milk lightly and gently. Immediately remove it and squeeze out the milk by keeping it one palm and pressing with other palm.
- After that place a spoon full of stuffing at the middle of the bread and roll it using your hands and keep it on a plate. Do not forget to seal all the edges, otherwise the stuffing will come out while frying.
- Likewise make the other bread rolls.
- Keep them in a plate and allow to rest them for 20 minutes to half an hour.
- After that, heat oil in a wok and deep fry the bread rolls all sides till they turn nice golden
- Take them out in a kitchen towel or tissue paper to absorb extra oil.
- Sprinkle black salt on top and serve with tomato ketchup.
- Allow the bread to absorb milk however, it should not absorb too much milk. Otherwise bread will turn soggy and you won't be able to shape them.
- Instead of milk you can also use water, however, I have experienced better outcome with milk.
- Fry the rolls under medium flame. High heat may burn the rools.
PIN to read it later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, We would love to see the pictures of your dishes & Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures @email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org