Christmas holidays are incomplete without a Christmas Cake. Every year I bake this Alcohol-free Easy Christmas Cake which is spiced and loaded with dry fruits and nuts. The texture of this cake is soft and moist in nature.
Eating a fruitcake on X-mas is an age-old tradition. The fruit cake is also known as Christmas Cake or Plum Cake. Though the tradition of X-mas cake originated in Britain however, it is now celebrated worldwide. Know more about the evolution of plum cake here.
Christmas definitely bring backs childhood memories. We did not have internet back then but we were well-aware with Christmas traditions due to Colonial heritage in Bengal. Before Christmas eve streets and trees decked up with colorful lights and stars hung outside homes. At this time of the year, road-side vendors start selling various Christmas goodies and Fruit Cakes.
We never used to have outside cake. My mother used to bake a simple vanilla cake with lots of fruits and nuts (especially cashew and raisins). Since then it was tradition to bake a cake during Christmas at my family. I also continued the same tradition every year. Instead of vanilla cake I bake this easy Christmas Cake loaded with dry fruits and nuts.
What can I use instead of alcohol in a Christmas Cake?
Traditionally, the dry fruits are soaked in alcohol for almost a month. This process is done in very professional way. Soaking of dry fruit itself is a celebration in certain big hotels and restaurants. You can use apple juice to soak the dry fruits and you will be surprised to know that alcohol-free Christmas Cake is equally tasty. I have used tetra pack apple juice to soak the dry fruits. You can also use orange juice for the same.
How to make Caramel Syrup for Christmas Cake?
Addition of caramel syrup in to the cake batter gives an amazing golden brown color to the cake.
In a pan, take 5 tablespoon of sugar with little water. Keep on stirring until the color changes to brown. Avoid burning it. Now add ¼ cup of water and stir well. Finally switch off the gas. Avoid using spatula to mix sugar. Allow to melt sugar by itself.
What spices are used in Christmas Cake?
Rich fruit cake is loaded with dry fruits & nuts and flavored with aromatic spices. Many Christmas bakes often refer to spice mix or mixed spice which is a blend of sweet spices.
In my recipe, I have used cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, clove powder and ginger powder. You can avoid ginger powder if you do not prefer the taste of it. However, we like the addition of ginger in it. You can make these powders from whole spices as well. Freshly ground spices gives exotic aroma to the cake.
How long can you soak dried fruit for Christmas Cake?
The first step of making a Christmas cake starts with the soaking of dried fruits. Soaking of dried fruits enhances flavor of the fruit cake and adds moisture to the cake. In a traditional X-mas cake dried fruits are soaked in alcohol for a longer period of time (sometimes almost a year).
For the non-alcoholic version of the Christmas cake I recommend to soak dry fruits for 24 to 48 hours. You can also soak the dried fruits up to a week, however, do not forget to refrigerate them.
More Cakes …
Easy Christmas Cake
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1½ cups Sugar
- 5 tablespoons Sugar to make Caramel
- 3-4 nos Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ⅔ cup Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup Refined Oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 100 ml Apple Juice
Spices for Christmas Cake
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
- ½ teaspoon Clove Powder
- ½ teaspoon Ginger Powder
Dry Fruits and Nuts (1 cup, Mixed)
- 2 tablespoons Golden Raisins
- 2 tablespoons Black Raisins
- 5 to 6 nos Apricots, chopped
- 8 to 10 nos Dates, chopped
- 5 to 6 nos Cherry, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoon Tutti Fruity
- 10 to 12 nos Cashew, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon Walnut, chopped
Soaking Dry Fruits
- Take a glass container and soak the dry fruits (chopped) in apple juice for 48 hours. Keep the container in the refrigerator and stir it once in a day. Bring the soaked dry fruits in room temperature before adding them in batter. Strain the dry fruits and drain the juice. Dust the dry fruits with little flour.
- In a pan, take 5 tablespoon of sugar with little water. Keep on stirring until the color changes to brown. Avoid burning it. Now add ¼ cup of water and stir well. Finally switch off the gas.
- Dry roast the chopped nuts and keep aside.
- Sieve all purpose flour, salt and baking powder together. Keep the mixture aside.
- Now take butter and refined oil in a bowl. Add sugar into it. Beat the mixture well.
- Next add eggs one at a time and beat the mixture after the addition of each egg.
- Now fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture.
- After that add the soaked strained dry fruits and chopped nuts into the batter and mix well.
- Finally add cooled caramel mixture and mix well. It will change the color of the batter.
- Pour the batter in a tin line with butter paper.
Baking in Pressure Cooker
- Keep the tin with batter inside the pressure cooker on a stand. Now close the lid without whistle and gasket. Keep it on medium flame for 35 to 40 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
Baking in OTG or Microwave
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 170 degree C for 40 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- You can also bake this cake in microwave convection mode at above mentioned temperature for 40 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- After baking the cake in Pressure Cooker or Oven, allow to cool the cake for sometime and later slice it and serve this moist Christmas Fruit Cake.
PIN to read it later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, we would love to see the pictures of your dishes. Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures at: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org