Badami paneer is a delectable paneer dish in which juicy paneer cubes are cooked in an almond paste sauce with a deep nutty flavor. Almonds give the gravy a rich, creamy, and sweet texture. The onion also adds sweetness to the gravy. This gravy has a regal flavor thanks to the additional spices.
Health Benefits of Almonds
Almond is a popular nut which has lot of health benefits. It contains vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, fiber, protein, etc. You can eat almonds just like that as a snack. It is a good source of vitamins and minerals and helps to lower the bad cholesterol level and increase good cholesterol level. Today almond is widely used in vegan dishes.
Normally I eat almond as a snack. Obviously, I prefer to eat the unsalted ones. Even I add few to my daughter's snack plate. I remember my mother used to give us (two sisters) soaked almond in the morning. Apart from that I do add almonds sometimes to my overnight oats or sweet dishes or cakes. Beyond that I have never explored almond in cooking.
This is the first time (I think so I haven't used it yet) I have used almond in a gravy, and it turned out so good that I am planning to use more almonds in my dishes. Do you add almonds in cooking? If yes, do share the way you include almonds in your dishes?
Why do we peel almond skin?
As we all know, almonds are high in nutrients, but one of the most frequent questions is whether to consume them with or without the skin.
While raw or roasted almonds are both healthy to eat, soaking and peeling them provides some additional benefits.
Almonds have a tough skin that is difficult to digest. Furthermore, tannins in almond skin reduce the rate of nutrient absorption.
While raw almonds are difficult to chew, soaking them softens and makes them juicier. The amount of phytic acid in almonds is reduced when they are soaked, which promotes calcium, zinc, and manganese absorption.
Learn to prepare Badami Paneer following this step-by-step recipe
Start the preparation by soaking the almonds in water.
If you are using store bought paneer. Take it out the paneer block from refrigerator and soak it into warm water for 10 minutes. Later cut it into desired size. You can prepare paneer at home. Click here to know How to make Paneer at home.
Once the almonds are soaked, peel the skin, and make a smooth paste along with tomatoes and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan and sauté paneer cubes with little salt and keep aside. You can use without sauteing them however, my family prefers it this way.
Now heat the remaining oil and add onion and garlic and cook till the onion are translucent. Next add ginger paste and combine well.
It's time to add the dry spices including turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and red chilli powder. Give a good mix.
Once the spices are cooked switch off the gas and allow it to cool.
Later take the spice mix in a blender and make a smooth paste.
Now heat ghee and add the whole spices into it. After that add almond tomato paste and cook until the raw smell of tomato is gone. Add salt and sugar at this stage. Now add the spice mixture paste and combine well.
Finally add 1½ cup of warm water and allow it to boil for few minutes.
Next add green chilli and sautéed paneer into the gravy and cook for 5 more minutes. Switch off the gas and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Can I use almond flour in place of soaked almond paste?
Personally, I would not recommend using almond flour in place of almond paste while making the gravy of Badami paneer.
You can soak the almonds overnight, peel the skin and make paste to use in the gravy. You can also soak the almond in hot water for 10 minutes and then drain the water. Now add cool water and slowly peel the skin of almond and use them to make paste.
Can I make vegan version of this curry?
Yes! You can prepare vegan version of this curry by substituting paneer with tofu. Also, skip ghee and use vegetable oil while making the vegan version.
Can I add any vegetables in Badami Paneer?
I do not prefer vegetables in Badami paneer. However, it is a personal choice to add vegetables in this curry. You can add certain vegetables such as mushrooms, green peas, green bell pepper in this gravy.
How can I serve Badami Paneer?
Badami paneer is served as a side dish along with either rice or any Indian flatbread such as Maida Paratha, Naan, Lachha Paratha, Kulcha, etc. My family also prefers to have it with jeera rice, ghee rice, peas pulao, paneer peas pulao, etc.
More Paneer Recipes
- 200 gms Paneer or Indian Cottage Cheese cut into rectangular pieces
- 20-25 nos Almonds
- 2 nos Onion, medium chopped
- 4-5 nos Garlic Pods finely chopped
- 2 nos Tomato chopped
- 2 nos Green Chilli
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 no Bay Leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 nos Clove
- 2 nos Green Cardamom
- 4 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- Soak the almonds in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes. You can also soak the almonds overnight in room temperature water.
- Later peel the skin of the nuts and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil and sauté the paneer cubes with little salt and keep them aside.
- Take almonds tomatoes in a blender and make a smooth paste.
- Heat the remaining oil and add chopped onion and garlic. Sauté till they are translucent.
- After that add ginger paste and cook well.
- Next add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and red chilli powder. Mix them well.
- Now after cooking the masalas switch off the gas and allow to cool the masala for sometime.
- Later take the spice mix in a blender and make a smooth paste.
- Now heat ghee and add the whole spices into it.
- After that add almond tomato paste and cook until the raw smell of tomato is gone. Add salt and sugar at this stage.
- Next add the spice mixture paste and combine well.
- Finally add 1½ cup of warm water and allow it to boil for few minutes.
- Next add green chilli and sautéed paneer into the gravy and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Switch off the gas and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
PIN to read it later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, we would love to see the pictures of your dishes. Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.