Chicken Hakka Noodles is an Indo-Chinese style dish prepared by tossing boiled noodles, chicken, scrambled egg, vegetables, and sauces. We love noodles, and it is our daughter's favorite dish. I usually prefer homemade chicken noodles than instant pack noodles since I can add a lot of vegetables and meat to them to make a complete meal.
I know it could be your favorite weeknight dinner as well because
Chicken Hakka Noodles is
- Easy to prepare
- Quick meal (Ready in under 40 minutes)
- Loaded with varieties of vegetables and meat
You can reduce the cooking time under 30 minutes, if you already have boiled noodles, chopped vegetables and cooked shredded chicken in your refrigerator. You just have to take them out and stir fry quickly along with sauce to make an easy meal.
When we were children, instant noodles weren't very common as it was just entered the market. So my mother used to make noodles with lots of vegetables at home. Most of the time it used to be egg hakka noodles over chicken noodles as boneless chicken was also not popular at that point of time. Basically, the preparation used to be almost similar except the step where you have to cook the chicken. Like other children, we also loved digging into a bowl of noodles which is flavorful and comfort food.
Ingredients required for Hakka Noodles with Chicken
Ingredient list of this recipe might look longer however, you can find all the ingredients in your pantry. I have added varieties of vegetables in this recipe, you can add whatever available with you.
Noodles: Generally, I use egg noodles available in the supermarket. You can use ramen noodles too or any other which suits you.
Chicken: I use skinless and boneless chicken strips for this recipe.
Eggs: Many do not add eggs in chicken noodles but our family loves the addition of scrambled egg in chicken noodles. You can skip it too.
Vegetables: I add varieties of vegetables including onion, carrot, beans, bell peppers, cabbage, spring onions in our chicken hakka noodles. You can add whatever available in your pantry.
Oil: I love to use sesame oil in the majority of Indo-Chinese recipes, including chicken noodles. It gives a certain favor to the dish. You can use any vegetable oil of your choice.
Sauces: Soy sauce is a key ingredient of chicken noodles. Always use a good quality sauce for enhanced flavor in the dish. Some people also use chilli sauce, tomato sauce in this recipe.
Other Ingredients: Apart from the above ingredients, I have also used vinegar, salt, sugar, etc.
How to cook Chicken Hakka Noodles
In a large pot, bring 10 to 12 cups of water to boil and add little salt and oil. Drop the noodles in the boiling water and wait only two to three minutes. The noodles are cooked Al Dente.
The next step is to drain and rinse the noodles under running water. To prevent sticking, spread on a platter and drizzle with one teaspoon oil.
In a pan heat oil and break two eggs in the pan, add salt and mix it well. Do not overcook it. Once finished, set aside.
Heat oil in a pan and add the chicken strips in to the pan. Add salt, cover and cook for few minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of soy sauce and mix well. Once chicken is cooked, set aside.
In the meantime, combine the vinegar, sugar, and remaining soy sauce in a bowl and set it aside.
Now heat remaining oil in the pan and add sliced onions. Cook them. Add the chopped beans, cabbage, and carrot next. Vegetables should be salted and sautéed over a high heat. Add red and yellow bell peppers next, then cook them over high heat.
After that, stir in the cooked noodles. Add scrambled egg and cooked chicken strips and mix well.
Finally, combine the vinegar and soy sauce, and stir. At this point, adjust the salt.
Add the finely chopped spring onion after thoroughly combining all the ingredients. Later switch off the gas and chicken hakka noodles is ready to serve.
Hakka noodles and chilli chicken is the most popular combo. You can also serve noodles with any Indo-Chinese side dish including, chicken manchurian, paneer chilli, kung pao chicken, etc. You can also enjoy the hakka noodles without any sides.
You can cook chicken noodles ahead and after cooling store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 -3 days. Reheat the noodles in microwave and serve it. Avoid storing it in freezer.
Variations of Hakka Noodles
You can omit the chicken and egg addition steps if you like to make vegetarian hakka noodles. You can also stir in paneer or tofu to add some protein into the dish.
If you are a non-vegetarian you have choice of adding beef, pork, and shrimp into the dish.
Even you can make chicken noodles without vegetables.
More Indo-Chinese Recipes
Chicken Hakka Noodles
- 300 gms Noodles
- 250 gms Chicken Strips
- 2 nos Eggs
- ½ cup Yellow Bell Pepper sliced
- ½ cup Red Bell Pepper sliced
- ¼ cup Beans chopped
- ½ cup Carrot julienne
- ⅔ cup Cabbage finely chopped
- ¼ cup Spring Onion finely chopped
- 1 no Onion, medium sliced
- ¼ cup Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Boil 10 to 12 cups of water in a big vessel and let the water bubble.
- Add little salt and oil to the water. Drop the noodles and allow to boil for only 2 to 3 minutes. The noodles are cooked Al Dente.
- After that, drain the noodles and wash under running water.
- Spread on a plate and toss in one teaspoon oil to prevent sticking.
- In a pan heat oil and break two eggs in the pan, add salt and mix it well. Avoid overcooking it. Once done, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the chicken strips in to the pan. Add salt, cover and cook for few minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of soy sauce and mix well. Once chicken is cooked, set aside.
- Meanwhile, mix vinegar, remaining soy sauce, and sugar in a bowl and keep aside.
- Now heat remaining oil in the pan and add sliced onions. Sauté them.
- Next add chopped cabbage, carrot and beans. Add salt and sauté the vegetables under high heat.
- Add red and yellow bell peppers next, then cook them over high heat.
- Now add boiled noodles and toss.
- Add scrambled egg and cooked chicken strips and mix well.
- Finally add the vinegar-soy sauce mixture and toss. Adjust the salt at this time.
- After mixing all the ingredients add chopped spring onion and give a good mix. Later switch off the gas and chicken hakka noodles is ready to serve.
PIN to read it later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, we would love to see the pictures of your dishes. Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures at: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.