Air Fryer Gobi 65 is a healthy version of a classic Indian snack or starter made with cauliflower florets covered in a batter of spices, and herbs, then air-fried till golden and crispy.
It is a delectable and irresistible dish that is frequently served with your choice of dipping sauce. Normally, Gobi 65 or Cauliflower 65 is deep-fried, but the air-fried version is completely guilt-free and tasty.
As we are enjoying air-fried snacks, I have planned to experiment more with Air Fryer Indian Snacks.
History of Gobi 65
Gobi 65 is believed to have originated in the southern region of India. It is a variant of the more well-known Chicken 65, a dish of delicious, spicy deep-fried chicken.
The name "Gobi 65" is derived from the number "65," which is thought to symbolize the year (1965) it originally appeared on a restaurant menu, despite different myths and speculations surround its origin.
Cauliflower: Always use good quality fresh cauliflower florets to prepare this dish. Avoid using canned cauliflower as the dish might turn soggy.
Spice Powders: This recipe calls for coriander powder, garam masala powder, black pepper powder, turmeric powder, and Kashmiri red chili powder. Adjust the spice level to your preference.
Ginger-Garlic: I always use fresh ginger and garlic paste for this recipe. You can also use freshly grated ginger and garlic for the same.
Others: Curry leaves and green chilies are key ingredients in this recipe. When making gobi 65, always use fresh curry leaves. However, if fresh leaves are not available, dry leaves can be used. Other ingredients are oil, salt, all-purpose flour, rice flour, corn flour, etc.
Follow the below instructions and learn how to cook healthy air fried gobi 65 recipe.
Take a large cauliflower and chop it into large florets.
Heat 3 to 4 cups of water and immerse the cauliflower florets in it for 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse the florets and drain the water completely.
Cauliflower florets should be well dried before cutting them into bite-sized pieces.
Take a mixing bowl and add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, crushed curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste, little oil and mix well.
Now add 1/4 cup of water to the spice mixture and make a smooth paste.
Next rub the spice mixture to the cauliflower florets and allow to marinate for 15-20 minutes.
After that, take all-purpose flour, corn flour and rice flour in a bowl and mix well. Add the remaining spice mixture to the flour mixture and make a smooth batter. Add little salt in the batter and mix well.
The batter's consistency should be neither runny nor thick.
Meanwhile, preheat the air fryer at 180 degree C (350-degree F). Spray oil in the air fryer basket.
Coat the marinated cauliflower florets in the batter and place them in the air fryer basket.
Air fry the gobi 65 for 12-15 minutes or until they turn crispy and golden brown in color. Shake them in between. Spray some oil if needed.
Remove the basket and stir in few curry leaves and slit green chilies. Air Fry for around 2-3 minutes.
Now sprinkle little chaat masala on top the cauliflower pieces and Air Fryer Gobi 65 is ready to serve.
The Air Fryer Gobi 65 is served as an appetizer alongside a full course meal such as rice-dal or roti-curry. It can, however, be served as a snack with your choice of dip and onion-cucumber salad.
Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Allow the cauliflower pieces to cool before storing them in a dry, airtight jar. Even after re-heating, the cauliflower pieces lose their crunchiness.
- Adjust the spice levels according to your taste buds. If you like spicy version, then add more chilli powder while marinating the florets. You can also add more green chilli peppers while air frying.
- Consistency of the batter is the key to this recipe. Make sure the batter isn't too runny or too thick.
- Do not add too many florets for air frying if the quantity is more do it in batches.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Gobi 65
- Air Fryer
- 3-4 cups Cauliflower Florets
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Paste
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon Rice Flour
- 2 tablespoon Corn Flour
- Salt to taste
- 2 sprigs Curry Leaves
- 5-6 no Green Chilli
- ½ teaspoon Chaat Masala Powder
- Take a large cauliflower and chop it into large florets.
- Cook the cauliflower florets in 3 to 4 cups of boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse the florets and completely drain the water.
- Later cauliflower florets should be thoroughly dried before slicing into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix turmeric powder, red chili powder, black pepper powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, crushed curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste, and a little oil in a mixing bowl.
- Now, add 1/4 cup of water to the spice mixture and blend until smooth.
- Next, rub the spice mixture over the cauliflower florets and let aside for 15-20 minutes to marinate.
- Then, in a mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, corn flour, and rice flour. Mix in the remaining spice mixture and make a smooth batter.
- Mix in a pinch of salt into the batter.
- Meanwhile, prepare the air fryer to 180° C (350° F). Spray oil into the air fryer basket.
- Gobi 65 should be air fried for 12-15 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown in color. In between, shake them. If necessary, apply some oil.
- Remove the basket and stir in a few curry leaves and slit green chilies. Air fry for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle chaat masala on top and serve the hot air fried gobi 65 in a serving plate.
PIN to read it later!
Also find us on:
Facebook | | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
If you are trying any of our recipes, we would love to see the pictures of your dishes. Tag us in any of our Social Media Handles or use #motionsandemotions. You can also send us your feedback and pictures at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.